Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spiced Lemon Wheat

Above , James is stirring the wort after all the ingedients are in, I had to take the pic before his arm fell off, poor kid should work out more lol..

Below, James is stirring wort after lemon juice, corriander seed, nutmeg and cinnamon added


Some ingredients

January 11th, 2009

Decided it's time to brew the Spiced Lemon Wheat, I've read alot about this one on the forums and am dying to taste it, so I hired a brewers apprentice, James to help.

Since his friend was here at the house, they were working on a school project together, I took care of all the sanitizing , while driving his friend home everything was soaking.

We need to do some additional prep for this batch, we need 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 3/4 of a teaspoon of Crushed Corriander seed, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.

Once I got home, I sliced 4 lemons in half and squeezed them into a sanitized measuring cup, then had James pick out the pits, took him awhile but it needed to happen. While he was doing that, I was crushing corriander seed in a container, once James had finally finished getting the pits out of the lemon juice, he took over the crushing corriander seed job.

I went to work and added 4 cups of spring water into the sanitzed pot, had James pour in the lemon juice, drop in the Corriander seed and measure out a half teaspoon each of nutmeg and cinnamon and added both, and stirred. Next up, we poured in a 1lb can of Golden Wheat UME and a can of Whispering Wheat Weizenbier, stirred til my arm was about to come off, then had James stir til his arms were about to come off. After stirring , we poured the wort into the fermenter, stirried like crazy, added yeast, waited another 5 minutes and stirred.

In two weeks we'll bottle it up, we should have the bottles from the West Coast Pale Ale, if not I'll make sure to drink some Sam Adams in the mean time.

No comments:

Post a Comment